Wednesday, December 18, 2019

What I'm mostly worried about four weeks out

So, based on the research I have done, it seems like the best training strategy is not to overly ramp up the miles, but to try to stay in decent shape and "survive" the experience. The danger would be to get injured or very sick and not even start the first marathon. That said, I think I will be spending Christmas week doing a few 20 mile runs. I have had suggestions about training after sleep deprivation, such as trying to sleep a night on a chair and then do a long run, but I have my limits.

With four weeks out, I also have to focus on making sure the logistics don't let me down. I'm only going to worry about stuff that is under my control, and if flights get delayed and set me back a few days during the event, then so be it. This event has been held by the organizer a couple of times before and has been completed in 11 days, which is still an amazing achievement.

I am feeling great with the positive response from my friends and colleagues and the fund raising for the Children's Fund. This is hugely important to me as I want this to be a monumental life experience, and one that benefits a great cause. I also have been reaching out to some potential corporate sponsors and was thrilled to get some products from a local Bay Area sports company, Sports Basement (who are very generous to Stanford Children's anyway) and Maurten, which supplies the nutrition products such as gels and energy drink mixes I will be using for the races.

The nerves haven't hit me yet, as during my free time I have been focused on the runs rather than overthinking the event. I'm sure that's going to change as the time comes near though. Writing this blog is therapeutic too, and will also document what my mindset was at this time, which most folks are thinking is a little deranged for doing this in the first place. I'm planning to update this at least once a week until the event and after every race.


This travel plan in 8 days is what awaits.

No comments:

Post a Comment