Saturday, January 4, 2020

Moods & thoughts

I stood in my doorway slowly lacing my shoes before going for my run today. While I knew I would feel good a few miles in, it was tough to get the motivation to start. I had decided to run 15 miles, and I spent the first 6 miles engrossed in my audio book (Mythos by Stephen Fry if you’re interested) and the rest letting my thoughts wander listening to upbeat songs. 

Once I get to the halfway point, I love to look back and see how far I have come. Logically, you might think it’s daunting to think about having to run back.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1d2GC9Vs_PicyWxyc-fAdoL134FqfkNbR

When I got to 7.5 miles today, I asked a passerby to take a photo of me running towards him so I could capture my expression at this point. He was absolutely happy to do so, and I remembered just how positive most people are around runners and running. At one of the last marathons I completed, my brother and I talked about how volunteers and supporters have such incredibly positive energy and vibes. It’s so great to be around. 

Similarly, the positive reactive to the fundraising for this event has been incredible. So many of my colleagues and friends have been extraordinarily generous, and it’s great to be able to connect this to the super positive impact that the Children’s Fund has on the kids and families at Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital at Stanford. These were the thoughts I had during the last few miles. 
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1yewywWuzL_NOwOCfitcVaxh6LSBeD-8Z

Incidentally, just after I got home from this run, my wife came back from her first run in a while. I heard her blasting reggae music and banging drums in such a great mood. 

The runner’s high is a real thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment